Rishikesh is one of the most popular weekend getaways from Delhi. At just 245 km from the national capital, Rishikesh makes for an ideal 2-3 days trip to recharge your batteries and experience adrenaline-pumping adventure activities.
Here is a suggested 3 days Rishikesh itinerary you can follow for a fun weekend trip from Delhi:
Day 1: Delhi to Rishikesh Trip
- Start early morning around 5 AM from Delhi to avoid traffic and reach Rishikesh by noon. The road trip takes about 6-7 hours.
- Check into your hotel and freshen up. Relax for some time enjoying the hotel amenities.
- Head out for lunch at one of the many cafes dotting the riverside. Local food like chole bhature is a must try.
- Post lunch, visit key attractions like Laxman Jhula, Ram Jhula, Parmarth Niketan and Triveni Ghat.
- In the evening, attend the splendid Ganga Aarti ceremony with chants and lamp offerings.
- Stroll in the bustling markets of Tapovan, Lakshman Jhula and Ram Jhula after sunset.
- Retire for the night after enjoying a delicious dinner spread.
Day 2: River Rafting and Sightseeing
- Start your day early with a yoga session at any of the ashrams. This will energize you for the day ahead.
- Head out for your pre-booked rafting expedition on the rapids of Ganga. Rishikesh is the river rafting capital of India!
- Spend a few thrilling hours maneuvering through Grade I to Grade IV rapids. Don’t forget to carry a spare set of clothes.
- Return to your hotel for lunch and relaxation. Freshen up after the rafting adventure.
- In the afternoon, visit landmarks like Lakshman Temple, Neelkanth Mahadev Temple, Trimbakeshwar Temple etc.
- In the evening, explore hiking trails like Kunjapuri Temple Trek for stunning sunset views.
- End your day with a relaxing massage or spa session.
- Relish a scrumptious dinner before heading back to the hotel.
Day 3: Return to Delhi
- Wake up early and take a holy dip in the Gang river waters.
- Post breakfast, check-out from the hotel and start your return journey.
- On the way back, stop at places like Haridwar or Amritsar for sightseeing and food breaks.
- Reach Delhi by late evening. You may also opt to spend the night enroute and reach Delhi the next morning.
In addition to the main attractions and activities covered in the 3-day itinerary above, there are a few more interesting things you can consider adding to your Rishikesh weekend trip:
- Take a day hike to Neer Garh Waterfall near Lakshman Jhula for a refreshing picnic amid nature.
- Visit ashrams like Parmarth Niketan and Sivananda Ashram to experience the spiritual ambience.
- Indulge in a rejuvenating spa therapy at any of the many ayurvedic centers and massage parlors.
- Try out adventure sports like mountain biking, cliff jumping or flying fox if you are looking for an adrenaline rush.
- Shop for souvenirs like rudraksha malas, stone idols, woolen items and local handicrafts.
- Explore charming cafes for cliff-side dining and enjoy new-age cuisines.
- Join the aarti on Parmarth Ghat in the morning for a peaceful start to the day.
- Interact with sadhus and learn about their spiritual journeys in the many ashrams.
- Visit Shivpuri for river-side beach camping under the stars.
With so much to see and experience, Rishikesh promises a memorable weekend holiday. Follow the suggested itinerary and tips for a smooth and fulfilling getaway from Delhi.
Best time to visit Rishikesh
September to November and February to April are the ideal times to plan a weekend trip to Rishikesh. The weather is pleasant, perfect for river rafting, trekking and other outdoor adventures. Summers can get very hot while winters are quite cold.
How to make the Rishikesh weekend trip hassle-free?
Here are some tips to make your weekend getaway smooth:
- Make hotel and activity bookings well in advance through online platforms.
- Hire a Scooty on rent in Rishikesh for local sightseeing at your own pace.
- Carry some snacks and water for the long road journey.
- Pack light woolens and jackets if traveling in colder months.
- Keep the taxi/driver charges in mind if planning a private cab trip.
- Check for landslides or road blockages due to rain before traveling.
With its verdant hills, thrilling rapids, ancient temples and spiritual vibes, Rishikesh is the ideal Himalayan getaway from Delhi. Follow this Rishikesh weekend trip itinerary for a rejuvenating break from bustling city life!